Tuesday, May 24, 2005

The Meme at Long Last

Here, finally, is the meme I was invited to do by BennyK. Thanks Benny! I now tag Wabiworld.

If I could be a musician, I'd be a church organist. Ok, I know, I already am that... but not really. I dabble in it, and do the best I can. But I'd be a REAL church organist. I could play anything. I'd make the organ do all the things I know it could do if only I could play it well. I'd play the classics, like Bach. I'd play with the praise band. I'd play after-church recitals, and teach kids how to play. People would say "I didn't like Bach until now". True, they say that now, but my 3 Bach pieces I know how to play only go so far with one congregation. I'd also play the pipe organ version of Simon and Garfunckle's "Slow Down, Your Moving Too Fast" which I have written in my head, but most likely will never put to music because at my skill level, it would just take longer than can be justified. Oh, I'd do jazz too. And of course I'd play the guitar in the praise band when the organ wasn't playing. Or maybe the drums.

If I could be a writer... My blog is a good glimpse at what I would be as a writer, except I'd write in a forum where people might actually read it, or at least happen upon it. I mean, that stands to reason, since the underlying but unspoken theme here is that I'd be doing it for a living. I'd like to write like Peter Egan in CycleWorld's "Leanings" or Road&Track's "Sideglances". I read "Sideglances" regularly as a kid, and it was very influential to forming my writing style. I might like to write for one of these magazines. I'd like to write like Dave Barry too, but I'm less good at that. His influence is evident in some of my work though. I'd be less raunchy than Dave Barry; it would be like his newspaper work, not like his books. For the blog, I have a bit of tOdd influence mixed in for good measure, but if I was writing for a magazine or whatever I'd can that.

If I could be a professor, I'd become a professor of philosophy. I've only ever taken one philosophy class, and quite recently (like, a year ago). I really liked it and on my final paper the professor wrote "due to your performance in this class, it seems advisable that you study philosophy at some point." Sounds threatening, huh? Like something bad will happen to me if I don't. Well, it might have to wait for another lifetime, but I think I could have been a decent professor of philosophy if I had started a bit sooner. The most important thing I learned about philosophy is, it seems you don't really have to know anything, you just have to have an opinion or be able to form one. In other words, you can do well being completely wrong, if you know how to be wrong correctly. This is quite an exciting revelation to this engineering student. Its what led to this website, in a roundabout sort of way. Five of the papers I wrote for the class are on my site, under "theories of science and technology"

1 Comments:

Blogger JoAnna said...

Hello, I'm from Benny's blogs and you recently posted on mine so I thought I'd check you out. Your comments on philosophy make me realize why Benny is so good at it- his opinion is alway right! Or so he thinks and he's very good at being wrong correctly (ie. Werewolves of London). The nice thing about engineering (I'm a mathematician) is that there is a right answer and things are supposed to work out when you do things right. Although, I suppose it is supposed to be a relief when you don't have to be completely accurate. I'm not sure about that myself.
I liked what you said about playing the organ and Bach music. I think Bach fugues rock!

June 08, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home