Wednesday, November 16, 2005

On the map for a day

Have you ever found out that something that's part of your local culture turns out not to be part of the culture everywhere else? Just the other day I was mixing up a batch of pancakes and actually read the bag for my flour. Its King Arthur brand... the brand everyone uses, right? Well, it turns out, its made in Vermont, just about an hour away from me. Wow! Made in Vermont! So I told some friends who live in other parts of the country about this. "Guess what! Vermont is on the map after all! King Arthur Flour is made here!"

And they were like "King Arthur Flour? What's that?"

And I was like "oh".....

kthatsallbye:)

Update 5/8/06 -- I was in Cincinnati a few weeks ago and went into a Kroger store (Kroger is a supermarket chain found in much of the Bible belt) and looked in the flour isle... and guess what!?! The foremost name brand found there... KING ARTHUR FLOUR!!! And besides that, King Arthur cookbooks. So there! All you who doubted that Vermont was the nation's flour capital... doubt no more! :-)

3 Comments:

Blogger Benjamin said...

I think we assume every brand that our parents used is the most common brand to use. The brand of toilet paper, the brand of dishwashing detergent, the brand of margarine. All of it. It surprised me when I was growing up and discovered this wasn't the case. Unfortunately, I don't have a funny story like you. But I can sympathize!

November 16, 2005  
Blogger G. F. McDowell said...

King Arthur Flour is the best, though.

January 29, 2006  
Blogger AndyOfVermont said...

but of course

January 29, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home