Friday, December 23, 2005

Pancake Recipe

Ok, I'm sick and tired of trying to remember where this recipe is. I actually have it memorized but sometimes if I don't make them for a while I can't remember whether 2 teaspoons of baking soda or just one. If I put it here I can throw away my paper copy. Plus, maybe some of you will start using it. Never use a pancake mix... its just not the same and its really no easier than mixing this up. Also, be sure to use real maple syrup, unless you are from the south and insist on molasses (I find this gross but understand its a tradition for some). Aunt Jemima or Vermont Maid (formerly "Vermont Made" until sued because its actually made in New Jersey. Used to contain 2% real maple syrup by the way, and then they quietly removed that to save money). So here it is (these are really yummy by the way, though not quite as yummy as the buttermilk-based kind). I eat these nearly every day:

  • 1TBS brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup oil (I use canola, don't use olive)
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1tsp salt
    Blend until frothy (seems like a waste of perfectly clean blender to me, so I just use a whisk, works just as well, if not better)

    Hand-mix in:
  • 2cups flour (King Arthur of course. The recipe calls for whole wheat, which is what I use, but you can use white or mix the two.)

  • 2tsp baking soda

  • Sometimes I'll add a bit of cinnamon too, and maybe some apple chunks (keep them small).

    Most people make the mistake of having the heat too high, keep it fairly low. On my electric stove that goes from 0-9, I set the heat at a bit below 3. They still cook very fast. Enjoy!

    5 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    hmm...sounds yummy...but dont forget fresh blueberries...the little ones not the cultivated ones. :-D

    October 24, 2006  
    Blogger AndyOfVermont said...

    MMMM
    blueberries

    October 24, 2006  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I would suggest you reduce the salt by half... otherwise very like mine which includes sour cream rather than oil.
    ~~Gordon

    November 11, 2007  
    Blogger AndyOfVermont said...

    Sounds like I've got some experimenting to do! Hmm, sour cream? Would you suggest a half cup of that instead of the oil?

    One of these days I'm going to experiment with buttermilk also.

    November 12, 2007  
    Blogger Tom C said...

    Looks like a good recipe. I like to substitute half of the flour for the same amount of oatmeal. Instead of adding dry oatmeal, I put the oatmeal into a glass measuring cup, then add hot to boiling water to just cover and let it sit. When I get all of the other ingredients added, then I mix in the oatmeal.

    January 26, 2008  

    Post a Comment

    << Home